Funkhaus is a digital creative agency working at the intersection of design, content, programming, and strategy.
Open Position – Digital Designer
A Designer at Funkhaus will work across a wide range of design projects for all kinds of creative clients, from design driven websites for the world’s best filmmakers and production companies, identity and collateral pieces for boutique brands and businesses, to forward thinking e-commence, apps and editorial website experiences.
Funkhaus is a small team, you’ll be working daily with the Creative Director and other designers in all aspects of the design process. From client kick-off meetings, to design presentations and collaborating with our in-house design-driven development team; a Designer at Funkhaus has great inter-personal skills, a passion for web design and is excited to solve a design challenge and own the outcome.
What you’ll be doing:
You’ll be working with the Creative Director and other senior design staff on commercial and in-house design projects. Websites, branding, identity, collateral and promotional pieces, social media content and internal projects. Most days are different and you’ll be challenged with real-life projects that actually get made.
We’d like to see:
- A personal passion for design outside of work – you live and breathe as a Creative.
- A solid website design background: 3+ years of website design experience, an intimate knowledge of industry tools, a solid understanding of designing intuitive site functionality, interaction, site architecture, user interfaces, and navigation. Funkhaus does a lot of varied work, but a lot of it is website design.
- At least a curiosity for broader commercial visual design – whether that’s branding, typography, packaging, art direction.
- The ability to both work autonomously and as part of a team – you’ll need to do both here, so we want someone who can listen, learn and do as well as communicate and collaborate.
- A pragmatic approach to commercial design and respect for the iterative design process. We solve design problems for clients mostly so you have to be able to interpret their feedback into a good design solution.
- Attention to detail. You’ll have support, but Funkhaus cares about getting it right.
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves. We train our creatives (and all members of the team for that matter) in every aspect of the digital design process. Everything from complex website design to photo re-touching to print production for business cards.
- Healthcare and non-matching 401k
- A relaxed work environment (normally outside Covid-times) in the Arts District, close to excellent food, coffee, bars, etc.
- Rooftop pool and gym
- Dog-friendly office
- Summer Fridays year-round
- Guaranteed three-day weekend every month
- 4 weeks paid vacation per year
- A chance to challenge yourself creatively alongside a supportive team, learn from experienced mentors and be an important part of a vibrant creative studio that values employee entrepreneurialism.
The Fine Print:
- We’re working-from-home until vaccinated, but the hope is to be back working in the studio so please be Los Angeles-based when that happens. At that point, it will be a hybrid in-office and remote flexible model.
- Funkhaus is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all our employees. We firmly believe that our work isn’t at its best unless all of our employees, regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or disability have equal opportunities to do great work.
- Applicants must be resident / legally eligible to work in the United States and reside in Los Angeles, CA – we do not pay for re-location. No visa sponsorship available for this position.
- You must be able to work in our DTLA Arts District studio, eventually.
If you think you’re a fit, please send your cover letter, resume, and a link to your portfolio to [email protected] with “Digital Designer” in the subject line!