Funkhaus is a bi-coastal creative studio blending high performance, expert advice with a collaborative approach. We help companies design websites and visual identities, build new technologies, and develop strategic content and branding.
Developers at Funkhaus work across a wide range of projects for all kinds of creative clients, from design driven websites for the world’s best filmmakers and production companies, to forward thinking e-commerce, apps, and editorial website experiences. We use Nuxt.js, WordPress and Shopify a lot, but our work takes us into all sorts of interesting areas, so it helps to be well versed in emerging tech.
A good developer at Funkhaus is someone who has great interpersonal skills, a passion for learning, a willingness to collaborate, an understanding of the importance of design (we only build things that look good after all), and a positive attitude.
What you’ll be doing:
Funkhaus is a small team of 12, but growing rapidly. You will be critical to the team in Los Angeles, working with the Technical Founder to grow a design-driven development team. The team will work to build commercial and in-house projects, ranging from portfolio websites to full stack web apps.
As a developer, your responsibilities will be broken down into four main areas:
- Build high quality bug free websites while respecting the high design needs of our clients.
- Regularly ship high quality code, both internal and external.
- Regularly review code and architecture contributed by other developers on the team.
- Own your projects and pipeline, and have KPIs around them.
- Roll up your sleeves and lead by example.
- Work with the Technical Founder to come up with creative technology solutions to business problems.
- Communicate technical topics effectively to other developers and business partners.
- Scope projects in collaboration with the Technical Founder.
- Work with the team to move towards better estimates & predictability.
- Help onboard and mentor new engineers.
- Foster good working relationships in the team.
- Encourage and lead productive technical discussions.
- Radiate knowledge and raise the general skill level of the team.
Evolving the Frontend Platform:
- Evaluate and stress test our FE tech stack and identify opportunities and risks.
- Keep up with the latest trends in FE technologies.
- Nurture the architecture of our FE platforms as we regularly add features to it.
- Ensure that our production FE applications and build pipelines are performant, reliable, responsive, maintainable and of high quality.
What we’d like to see:
- A background in building high-designed websites use JS frameworks like Nuxt.js.
- A pragmatic approach to programming and respect for the iterative process. We solve problems for clients mostly, so you have to be able to come up with realistic solutions to complex problems that best fit the client needs.
- A mind for learning. Tech is constantly evolving, and as an agency Funkhaus is on the front lines of it.
- A desire to lead a team, but also work autonomously – you’ll need to do both here, so we want someone who can listen, learn and do as well as communicate and collaborate.
- Attention to detail. You’ll have support, but Funkhaus cares about getting it right.
- Willingness to participate in thought leadership (events, conference, meetups).
- Enthusiasm for mentoring and building strong technical leaders.
- A passion for something. Funkhaus is a tight group and really encourages individuals who have a thing they love to do to.
- A strong understanding of HTML/CSS, JS, Webpack, and Node.
- A strong understanding of modern web infrastructure (Git, REST and GraphQL APIs, build and deployment processes etc).
- Experience with Nuxt.js and Vue.js
- Experience with Headless CMS’s and WordPress
- Experience with emerging tech like AI, Crypto, Static Site Generators and WebGL.
- A strong network of talented developers/friends
- $75k-140k / year, commensurate with experience.
- Competitive compensation and healthcare, with incentives.
- A relaxed work environment in the Arts District, close to excellent food, coffee, bars, etc.
- Roof-top pool and gym (yes, it’s available 24/7)
- Dog-friendly office
- Flexible work hours
- Summer Fridays year-round
- 7 weeks paid time off per year
- A chance to challenge yourself alongside a supportive team, learn from experienced mentors and be an important part of a vibrant design studio.
- Leadership that is open to incubating new ideas
The Fine Print:
- Funkhaus is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all our employees. We firmly believe that our work isn’t at its best unless all of our employees, regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or disability have equal opportunities to do great work.
- Applicants must be resident / legally eligible to work in the United States and reside in Los Angeles, CA – we do not pay for relocation. No visa sponsorship available for this position.
- You must be able to work in our DTLA Arts District office (though we’re all currently working remote for at least the next month, staying attuned to the health guidance as it becomes more defined).
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.
If you think you’re a fit, please send your cover letter, resume, be sure and a link to somewhere we can see your work to [email protected]